Friday, February 26, 2010

I am sitting alone, back in Granada, thinking about the next step. I have gotten to the point of wondering, as I have before, why I have come. What was it that I expected to find in these travels? I have traveled 7000 miles to discover that all of the important things in my life are usually within the first five feet; something I always knew, but so often fail to recognize. Every journey, every adventure, has a destination, known or unknown. I have always known that the end of this journey was not a physical place on this earth; instead it would be a feeling or a hard learned lesson. I came here not to find the end of the earth, but to find the end of me. To crack open the internal safe to which I lost the key a long time ago.
My compass finally broke; little did I realize that it was broken all along. And now, lost in the midst of a strange land on a starry night, I have come to realize that I must learn the art of celestial navigation to find my way home. This trip is not about following a heading to an undiscovered place, it is about learning a new way to navigate, a new language to express the my inner workings, an ability to seek guidance from the shining stars all around me.
I raise my sextant to the night sky and I see in the distance a bright shining star, the end of this journey. She is that marker of my home, the brightest light in my life, a lighthouse that saves lost ships from the wrath of an inner sea.
This journey does not end in some distant lonely land. It will end, as it was always meant to, in the same place it began; looking into tearfilled eyes uttering the words "I love you". And instead of "good bye" I will hold your gaze and say "I'm sorry for being so lost for so long..."
I am home.

4 comments:

  1. I had the wildest dream the night before last. I dreamed that you had come home early and you and Emily needed a place to stay. Of course we accommodated you with open hearts. The thing that most struck me most was how unrestless you seemed. You have never been one to exude an aura of surety and contentment so I took this dream to be a good omen. If you end your trip now or in two months I wholeheartedly hope that you have found what you were looking for and we wait on baited breath for you return to the Seacoast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need some familiar faces, remember we're close by. The airlines are having sales from Managua to San Salvador even. Or, I have a friend (who's also friends with Matt Gingo) that lives on Ometepe - let me know & I can connect you guys.

    I wish you well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay, your writing is extraordinary. Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay, call me when you get the chance. Niki broke up with me... I am bumming

    ReplyDelete